When you exercise your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain. These neurotransmitters trigger a positive feeling in the body leading to a positive and energetic look on life! The neuron receptors that endorphins bind to are the same ones that bind some pain medicines. The difference being, unlike a drug like morphine, the activation of these receptors by the body’s endorphins does not lead to addiction or dependence. So you get your ‘runners high’ the natural way! and it’s free!
Here are some more positive affects it has:
- Exercise takes your mind off your worries. It gets you away from the cycle of negative thoughts that feed anxiety and depression.
- It often involves an element of social interaction, which again lifts you.
- It is the most underutilised antidepressant.
- It tends to lead to healthier habits including healthy eating.
- It helps to balance hormone levels, which again can make you feel better.
Please share this article if you think a friend could do with some encouragement!
Exercise, our natural remedy.